Utah code 76-10-503生效之后非移民签证不能拥枪了,然后限制又被新House Bill 1002取消了

Utah House bill 225(2023) amended Utah Code 76-10-503(1)(b)(xiii) to identify aliens in the United States on a nonimmigrant visa as a Category II restricted person.

(xiii) is an alien who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa as defined in 8 U.S.C. Sec. 1101(a)(26).

非移民签证不仅不能购买,拥有枪支,其他州居民的Utah non-resident ccw也被终止了。
从给非移民发ccw的友好州,大踏步加入到了伊利诺伊的行列,甚至还不如加州。

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title76/Chapter10/76-10-S503.html

A special session of the Utah State Legislature was held and Utah House Bill 1002, which removed the language above was passed and signed into law by the Governor of Utah on May 19, 2023.

最后无事发生。

真的离谱。。。话说NH的non-resident好拿吗?

(4) A Category II restricted person may possess, use, or have under the person’s control a firearm or dangerous weapon if:
(a) the person is a Category II restricted person solely due to Subsection (1)(b)(xiii);
(b) the person has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa solely for lawful hunting or sporting purposes;
(c) the person is in possession of a valid hunting license or permit; and
(d) the possession, use, or control of the firearm or dangerous weapon is directly related to the lawful hunting or sporting purposes described in Subsection (4)(b).

貌似还可以持枪,就是只能是为了hunting和sporting,不能用于self defense?

是的,特意来枪友会来看相关消息
我是非移民签证,我的朋友也是,今早我朋友收到了犹他DPS的mail,鉴于隐私我就不上图片了,大致意思就是非移民ccw被suspend,不过将来有special session上诉,如果成功的话可以appeal掉,ccw会再次生效。

没这么说,猎证还是可以的。看你引用里的4.(C) 和4.(D)
本来联邦法里写的也是非移民不能拥枪,但是18USC922(y)(2)里有个豁免,犹他这个基本就是18USC922(y)的翻版,只是措辞更严格一些。

没说不能用于防身,只是说持有是for sporting or hunting purpose,但你具体是否用它保护了自己或家人生命安全,这里并没有写。you can always be on the road to a range.

1 个赞

“a nonimmigrant visa solely for” 这几个字就禁了学生签证或访问签证持有者的持枪机会 -

所以我8月底的Utah ccw instructor course可以不用去了?:joy:

理论上是这样,实际上联邦法律法规没法“admit [under] a nonimmigrant visa solely for lawful hunting or sporting purposes” :sob:

希望在犹他的枪友可以写信给议员,帮我们小留重获ccw

希望能被推翻吧,这个法律真的太头疼了。就很搞笑,utah对于非绿卡人士结果变的和加州一个级别了

1 个赞

我又仔细看了下,非移民签证现在就是不能possess的。 注意看这里面的用词是And,不是or,意味着这些条件需要并列满足。也就是说大多数的人情况是F1学生或者H1B,在美国的purpose多为求学和工作,无法满足所谓的“soley for hunting”只为打猎而入境美国。正因如此我们好多人才会收到ccw被暂停的信。这个法律真的太气人了。

(a)|the person is a Category II restricted person solely due to Subsection (1)(b)(xiii);
|(b)|the person has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa solely for lawful hunting or sporting purposes;|
|(c)|the person is in possession of a valid hunting license or permit; and
|(d)|the possession, use, or control of the firearm or dangerous weapon is directly related to the lawful hunting or sporting purposes described in Subsection (4)(b).|

5月17号(也就是说明天)utah会有一个special session,
往下划到HB1002那一条,special session会讨论HB1002,1002就是去掉对非移民限制的,看看明天的消息

分别在

https://house.utleg.gov/contact/

Dear Senator Weiler,

I am writing to support H.B. 1002 which you sponsored that repeals of parts of H.B. 225 (2023) that restrict the ability of nonimmigrants to possess firearms, specifically Utah Criminal Code 76-10-503 (1)(b)(xiii) and (4).

As a resident of California and a nonimmigrant in the United States, I was once a proud holder of a Utah CFP (Concealed Firearm Permit). Due to the limitations on firearm ownership in California, I am planning to relocate to another state after graduating from a California university, where I can have a means to protect myself if faced with danger. Utah has always been an excellent state for individuals like me to obtain a CFP. Unlike states such as New York and California that didn’t issue permits until the NYSRPA decision, or Florida, which denies permits to nonimmigrants, Utah has been welcoming. Unfortunately, with the enactment of H.B. 225, Utah has suddenly become one of the worst states in terms of nonimmigrants’ right to possess firearms.

Allow me to present several arguments that may further air in your consideration process:

Firstly, nonimmigrants are already subject to rigorous scrutiny in terms of firearm ownership and moral character. Federal law mandates that visas be issued only to individuals of good moral character. It would be unreasonable to believe that nonimmigrants pose a danger if they possess firearms, considering the restrictive processes and requirements already in place.

Secondly, the restriction imposed by H.B. 225 deviates from federal law and lacks logical coherence. Federal law generally prohibits nonimmigrants from owning firearms unless they meet the exceptions outlined in 18 U.S.C. 922 (y)(2). However, H.B. 225 only permits one category of nonimmigrants—those in the U.S. solely for hunting—to possess firearms. Firstly, under federal law, an immigrant may be admitted to the U.S. for hunting purposes (leisure), but not “solely” for hunting purposes, rendering the exemption in H.B. 225 inapplicable. Secondly, H.B. 225 eliminates the possibility for nonimmigrant students or workers living in Utah to hunt, even if they possess a hunting license. Thirdly, H.B. 225 disregards foreign law enforcement officers invited by the Department of State, contrary to federal law.

Thirdly, restricting nonimmigrants creates a reliance interest problem. As a Federal Firearm Licensee, I can envision nonimmigrant FFL holders like myself who chose to reside in Utah to pursue their hobby. H.B. 225 severely impacts these individuals who are trusted by the ATF and FBI, as their lawful activities overnight became illegal in Utah.

Furthermore, nonimmigrants in Utah and other states will lose their right to self-defense. Some nonimmigrant aliens, such as workers or students, reside in the U.S. for an extended period, and some eventually become permanent residents or U.S. citizens. However, criminals pose a threat not only to American citizens but to everyone in Utah. Restrictive legislation like this puts the lives of nonimmigrants in danger, as they are denied the means to protect themselves.

Additionally, nonimmigrants contribute to the Utah economy by paying taxes. Allowing us to purchase firearms also supports the firearm culture and firearm safety in Utah and the United States as a whole. I personally know nonimmigrant workers in Utah who are Utah CFP instructors, and I took my CFP course and followup pistol courses with them. Their rights to possess firearms, to carry a firearm concealed, and their certification to teach others was repealed by H.B. 225 overnight, and I believe that is inconsiderate and unfair.

Although I am not a constituent of Utah, I am directly affected by H.B. 225. Therefore, I sincerely support your H.B. 1002. If I were a resident of Utah, I would argue that restricting nonimmigrants from possessing firearms not only fails to serve the state’s interests but also potentially harms them.

Thank you for your consideration. I sincerely wish that your proposed bill could be passed.

Sincerely,
Kagamihara Nadeshiko

2 个赞

H1B 应该属于移民签证吧。 学生和访学要受影响了,试试联系敦促本地议员帮助发声。

1 个赞

H1b是允许有移民倾向的非移民签证……

2 个赞

AND 指的对象是C and D,而不是B and D。你说的情况是B。

C就是持有合法猎证,同时D说的是possess枪的目的是用于打猎或者运动用途(打靶)。

1 个赞

原文是A; B; C; and D, 指的是A∧B∧C∧D,不是(A∨B)∨(C∧D)

你再仔细读读原文吧,可以参考一下联邦法18USC922(y)(2)的exemption部分,看看怎么写的。

A,B,C之间都是OR的关系,只有C和D之间是AND。A,B,C本来就不是同时存在的,如果你是A,就不需要B和C;B也不需要C。

我个人建议你仔细读一读原文……
如果真如你所说的话,岂不是要理解为“仅因为(1)(b)(xiii)小节成为II类受限制人士的人可以拥枪”?
“A Category II restricted person may possess, use, or have under the person’s control a firearm or dangerous weapon if […] the person is a Category II restricted person solely due to Subsection (1)(b)(xiii);”,这完全没有道理啊……
你仔细看看18 U.S.C. 922 (y)(2),

(A)

admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States;

(B) an official representative of a foreign government who is—

(i)

accredited to the United States Government or the Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States; or

(ii)

en route to or from another country to which that alien is accredited;

(C)

an official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State; or

(D)

a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

这种情况才会是ABCD四选一的。

你理解的这种情况(即与里包含或)为免生歧义反而一般会单独列出一个小节,如18 U.S.C. 922 (d)(8):

(8) is subject to a court order that restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child, except that this paragraph shall only apply to a court order that—

(A)

was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had the opportunity to participate; and

(B)

(i)

includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or

(ii)

by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury;

1 个赞

and指的是abcd并列存在,我昨天打电话给utah了,就是不能possess了,更别提carry了。我已经收到Utah DPS的纸质版来信了

“unable to purchase, possess firearm due to 7610503 in state of utah"

如果还能持的话,他就不会暂停我permit了

今天special session已经到2nd reading 了,继续观望情况

重大消息,关注了一下 HB1002(去除非移民限制),发现Senate全票通过了,现在是House/ signed by Speaker/ sent for enrolling,如果没有什么大问题,非移民可以继续持枪,utah的ccw也会再次生效。

https://le.utah.gov/~2023S1/bills/static/HB1002.html#76-10-503

点上面的链接,然后看Status就能看见bill的状态了,基本上稳了

在右面的那一栏还有hearings/debate,有兴趣的可以去看一看。我看了下视频,Rep.Weiler的意思大概就是student和professional worker的枪支权和自卫权不应该被剥夺,原来的这个法案意图只是加强重复federal law,结果太严格玩脱了,所以说HB1002就是去掉非移民的那几行字,紧接着就是投票,全是yes或者absent,没有一个no的

3 个赞